As things around the U.S. and the world change economically, we’ve gotten more and more calls asking about advice to maximize the space of a room. This could be due to people downsizing to smaller places, crashing together, etc, but there are definitely unique challenges that arise when working with a smaller space.
So, because you wanted it, here are some tips to consider when designing your small spaces:
- Don’t Follow Formulas – there is no special recipe to succeed at small space design. Forget what you thought you knew, just break rules, and challenge yourself.
- Discover What Your Room Needs – get to the essentials. What do you really need?
- Keep Floors Open – nothing sucks up an open environment more than a floor filled piece of furniture.
- Light Colored Walls – yes, you’ve probably heard it before, but it’s the truth.
- Get Some Mirrors – not overdone, just enough. One medium sized one or a collection of smaller. Don’t overdo it.
- Expandable Dining Tables – we have plenty of modern dining tables that expand, check them out in our dining room section.
- Clear Glass + Simple Frames – this includes clear furniture items, especially useful for coffee tables like the Noguchi Coffee Table with sleek frame, clear glass.
- Design For You – not in the event of having guests, etc. Design for your everyday use.
- First Settings Aren’t It – it will take you a couple of edits to find what works for you. And, that’s ok.
- Think Vertical – work with your space in both directions
Remember, there are no hard rules for designing your small space. Have fun and enjoy your new space.